Posting To The Student Forum

September 24, 2008

I thought people might find it useful to see, in writing, the sequence necessary in order for students to post in the Student Forum.  Pau and I (Larry) are just beginning to use it — since my US History ESL students are just now learning about Columbus and the conquistadors, they are going to write questions about them to Pau’s students in Spain.

First, each student needs to register at the Edublogs homepage, just like each teacher did.  They should click the box saying they just want a user name.  They should also make sure the “remember” box is not clicked.

They will then receive an activation code at their email, which they should click on.

Then, when they want to post on the student forum, they should first go to the Edublogs home page and sign-in.  Then they go to the Student Showcase blog and click on Student Forum.  They then click on the the “thread” of conversation they want to participate in, or start a new thread, and start typing.

If they want to make a comment on presentations that are posted in the body of the blog by individual classes and do not want to leave an audio comment on that Voice Thread, they can just leave a written comment in the comments section of that presentation and do not have to be signed into Edublogs.

Some teachers have checked out the Vaestro audio chatboard I’ve set-up.  I think that works very well, too, so am interested in having my class engage with others if and when you’re interested.

Larry

Entry Filed under: tools. Posted in  tools .

6 Comments Add your own

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  September 26th, 2008 at 8:42 am     

Hi, Everybody,

I just wanted to let people know that my students have just begun using the Sister Classes Forum to communicate with Pau’s students. A few posted today, Friday, and the rest will do it on Monday. They are responding to Pau’s introductions and asking them questions about what they are taught in Spain about Christopher Columbus and the conquistadors.

It should be a pretty interesting exchange.

Larry

•    isabelcneves  |  September 26th, 2008 at 8:56 am     

Hi Larry
    Good idea that you explained clearly and thoroughly what to do. I do have students who are interested in this exchange project. OI would like to know what they should do first , is it presenting themselves and posting the presentation on the Students blog ?
    isabel neves

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  September 26th, 2008 at 6:57 pm     

Isabel,

The nice thing about using the Student Forum is that it can be done in one class period. My students are very motivated to use it as part of our United States History class since they can communicate with Pau’s students in Spain to compare what is taught about Columbus and the conquistadors with what is taught here in the United States — it’s a very intriguing question to all of them.

If you have some “authentic” point like that to communicate, I’d say start with the Student Forum. However, if you don’t, I’d encourage you to first do the Voice Thread presentation (or something similar). It’ll take longer, but I think it’ll be more engaging for the students.

Larry

•    isabelcneves  |  September 29th, 2008 at 6:05 am     

Hi Larry
    Thanks for your tips. There seems to be a problem. I couldn’t write a post on the Student Showcase even if I was loggein at Edublogs. Is that okay ?
    Any other questions, either pedagogical or techical can I use this space or am I supposed to do it via e-mail ?
    warm regards
    isabel

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  September 29th, 2008 at 4:49 pm     

Isabel,

When you click on log in on the student showcase blog, you should see a “Write” on the upper left hand side of your screen. Click on that, and then click on Post, and then you should be able to write a post. You are registered as an editor.

Feel free to ask questions either here or via email.

Larry

•    isabelcneves  |  October 15th, 2008 at 1:23 pm     

Hi Larry
    I’m sorry but I don’t know how to post on the Student Showcase even if I am logget at Edublogs. is there anything wrong I am doing ? But I could post on the Sister Classes Forum. I am planning to do a Voicethread which would be posted at the Student Showcase, right ? Students who have tried seem to have had difficulty in refgistering and going about it.

warm regards
    isabel neves