Toyo Gakuen students post to the Sister Classes Forum

October 29, 2008

Hello again everyone,

Today in my Homestay English class most of the students managed to post a thread on the Sister Classes Forum. Their posts are about their hometowns. Talking about one’s hometown was a topic in their textbook. So, it relates to to the syllabus. I decided it would be better for them to post their own threads. I thought it would be easier for your students to comment on the posts that way. I’m going to try to have my students comment on the threads started by your students. The problem is that some of the posts are very long with contributions by many students. It’s going to be difficult to get the students to read the posts. They’ll look at all the text and just give up before they start. If I can, I’ll use diigo or something else to highlight some of the posts to help the students.

Anyway, I hope your students will comment on my students’ posts. My students are looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Entry Filed under: "Sister classes forum". Posted in  "Sister classes forum" Tags: .

10 Comments Add your own

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  October 29th, 2008 at 3:46 am     

Michael,

I’ll have my students respond — either this Thursday or next Tuesday.

Larry

•    mickstout  |  October 29th, 2008 at 6:01 am     

Thanks Larry. I know my students will appreciate it.
    Michael

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  October 30th, 2008 at 4:27 pm     

Michael,

My students responded to yours today. I thought the way you set it up — with each student having their own thread on the Forum, was a great way to do it.

We didn’t have a whole lot of time left by the time my students were done signing up for an Edublogs account (this was a different class than the one that has corresponded with Pau’s students), so their responses were pretty brief.

However, if you students respond back I’ll make sure mine develop a much better reply.

Larry

•    bogeria  |  November 6th, 2008 at 4:04 am     

Hi, This is Pau from Tarragona. Spain.
    Yes, it’s a bit difficult to read everything and to answer everybody just the way it is.
    Anyway, mine have started answering some of yours.
    Love
    PAU

•    mickstout  |  November 6th, 2008 at 4:50 am     

Hi Pau,
    Thanks very much. I taught this class today and noticed your students comments. I was very excited. Some of my students have responded. The class today was a bit messy. Some students forgot their passwords, some wrote their passwords in their textbooks – which they forgot, some students seemed a bit stunned and needed coaxing just to begin to read the responses, some were absent the previous class and hadn’t registered with edublogs, and so on.
    Larry liked the way I set up each student with their own thread. Sounds like you thought it made things difficult. Am I right?
    Cheers,
    Michael

•    bogeria  |  November 9th, 2008 at 10:18 am     

No, Michael. I think what you did was better. I was only talking in general. I think there’s too much to be answered or commented (both in the Showcase and in the Forum) and not much time so, I don’t know very well whether to ask my students to answer Larry’s questions in the Forum or in the Showcase or to comment yours’ presentations on towns…,not talking about producing their own projects for the Showcase.

Every week we go to the Computer Lab and I have my students work some time in preparing presentations following the English language Syllabus (they’ve done some on Urban Tribes and now they are working on The Spanish Person who has made a difference) which I would love to upload in the Showcase (some) and leave some time to comment on both Showcase and Forum (apart from the time devoted at home to both things).
    But we never seem to reach very far or,at least,this is the feeling we have. Apart from the “funny” situation you described about students forgetting passwords or needing basic technological or language coaching…
    I’m not complaining. In fact, it is even funny. And students are reading and writing a lot but,sometimes, we feel a bit frustrated with all this flow of info we’d love to answer and can’t.

Sorry for that long answer!
    Love
    Pau

•    Larry Ferlazzo  |  November 9th, 2008 at 12:17 pm     

Pau,

Yes, there’s so much to do and so little time. I just view the Student Showcase blog as a place where my students can upload projects they were going to do anyway and where they can feel that other people might take a look — an authentic audience. And a place where they can do the same and look at other projects when we can fit it in.

This Sister Class project shouldn’t be another burden, and we can all just do what we can.

Larry

•    mickstout  |  November 9th, 2008 at 2:06 pm     

Thanks for your feedback Larry and Pau!
    I don’t think Pau was suggesting that the project was another burden Larry. I certainly don’t think it is. I guess, as teachers we’re used to having things rather ridgedly organised, so something like this project, which is very maleable, still forming and being created simultaneously by many people, can be a bit disconcerting. We want to give our students a chance to interact with all the participants too, which at this stage is rather impractical. Still, I envision this project evolving into something fantastic over the years and I think that our students will continue it outside classtime. Last week, one of my students was working on his comment in our English Lounge. I was delighted to see this because most of the time students won’t do anything on their own time.
    Cheers!

•    bogeria  |  November 11th, 2008 at 10:50 am     

Thanks to both Larry and Michael,

You are right. I’ll manage to survive. We’ll post and comment on projects in the Showcase and ask them to look at the Forum from time to time, especially in their free time.

I’m sure it will be positive to our students.

Love from beautiful Tarragona!
    PAU

•    Ayyapillai  |  September 2nd, 2012 at 7:33 pm     

Thanks for your grateful students forum informations.